Students should have brought in a container to re-use (upcycle) as a planter. In groups of 2, do the following:
- If wanted, add drainage holes to the bottom.
- Pros: Water drains more easily from the planter. If you over-water, the excess water will mostly drain out.
- Cons: You need a tray underneath the planter to catch the draining water, or the planter must be placed outside.
- Add a 3 cm deep layer of gravel from the big pile in the garden.
- Add topsoil from the big pile in the garden. The pile is half manure and half topsoil – the manure does not work nearly as well for growing plants!
- Take pictures of your process to show to the class.
If there is extra time, do the “Bonus Lessons & Quizzes” from KidsBoostImmunity.com.