New England Clam Chowder
- 1/4 pound bacon diced
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 3 dozen hard-shell clams shucked
- Liquid from clams
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 large potatoes diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a 5-quart pot, cook bacon until lightly browned. Add onions and cook until tender (5 minutes).
- Gradually add flour to onions and bacon until well-mixed.
- Add enough water to the clam liquid to make 2 cups. Add to the pot, stirring constantly.
- Add potatoes, salt, celery salt, and pepper. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (10 minutes).
- Chops clams. Add clam, milk, and butter. Cover and cook until heated (5 minutes). Serve.