Mussels in White Wine Sauce
- 4 lbs mussels
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 shallots chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
- 6 tbsp butter chopped into pieces
- Remove the beards from the mussels, and scrub the shells.
- Simmer the wine, shallots, garlic and salt for 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels, cover, and increase the heat to high.
- Cook for 5 minutes. All the mussels should be open.
- Stir in the basil and butter.
- Throw out the mussels that do not open.
- Goes well with bread for soaking up the broth.