- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 300 g pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 796 mL crushed tomatoes
- 369 mL tomato paste
- 369 mL tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 15 lasagna noodles
- 500 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300 g mozzarella cheese sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until browned.
- Add all the tomatoes, water, sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 1.5 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Boil the lasagna noodles in salted water for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spread a layer of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Put down a layer of 5 noodles. Add 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella, more meat sauce, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat twice, for 3 layers, using up all of the ingredients.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cool for 15 minutes before serving.