French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 large onions sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- 2 10.5 ounce cans condensed beef broth
- 1 baguette
- Swiss cheese slices
- Over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugar, and cook onions for 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour until it is well-blended.
- Add water, wine, and beef broth (undiluted). Boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut 1" thick slices of baguette. Toast them at 325F for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Put soup in oven-safe bowl. Place baguette on soup, and top with Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. The cheese should be bubbly.